Monday, November 14, 2011

Beyond Sunday Morning: Let's talk about the Tongue

Words! We use them to communicate! They can either be helpful or harmful. There's one truth about words; once they leave your mouth you can't take them back. Over and over in my young life I've heard them! I've often used words that I honestly wished I could take back.

Let's apply this to Sunday morning! Normally we're asked how we're doing by some sweet sister or brother in our congregations! A majority of the time we say we're ok, but are we really?! Sunday happens to be satan's favorite day of the week. He makes sure that husbands and wives get at odds with each other and by the end of it all there's sure to be some hurtful words spoken. He'll even let the kids get in an uproar. Satan is not dumb. However, week after week we put on our smiling faces and exclaim that we are simply fine even after just having a HUGE uproar in our families on the way to church.

Now let's share God's Word together and see what it has to say about the tongue.

  • Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23.
  • Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Psalm 34:13
  • A time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;Ecclesiastes 3:7
Our weeks can get hectic and God puts us in different situations to see if we will succeed or fail. Let's have a look at a very real scenario:

You're at work and a person comes in and is just as needy as can be. It's early and you aren't a morning person to begin with and your first encounter is with this person who is needy. Their attitude is horrible and they are in a hurry. Our human nature is to be snippy with them. It's our flesh and old sinful nature that wants to hop right back in the driver seat and just blast them away. However, God's word says, " But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" James 1:19

So, this week I would like to encourage you to pray that God will guard your mouth and that He will use you to encourage people this week instead of using hurtful words to tear them down or to discourage them.

Let's Pray:
Dear Heavenly Father,
Hallowed is thy name.! God thank you that your mercies are new each morning. Great is thy faithfulness to me oh God. Lord your word says that I should be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. So, Lord that is my prayer this week. Help me to use encouraging words this week so that others can see Jesus in me. I love you Lord. In Jesus' Name I pray-Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment